Elder Care/In Home Caregiver Payroll Issues
Do you employ a care giver in your home? Have you wondered about the payroll and tax implications? Here are the most common questions elder care employers ask HomeWork Solutions.
Household Employment Tax Basics
- I have a domestic (elder care giver, housekeeper) working in my home. What taxes do I need to pay?
- What taxes does my domestic employee pay?
- How are the employee's payroll taxes paid?
- How often do I need to pay these taxes?
- Congress simplified the "nanny taxes." What does that mean to me?
- What is "New Hire Reporting"?
- My mother's care giver says she's an independent contractor and doesn't want taxes withheld. Can I do that?
- I have been told my housekeeper needs to be paid hourly. Why?
- My wife requires help that I cannot physically provide. Can I hire my daughter as a caregiver?
- Do I need to pay minimum wage? What about overtime?
- What about worker's compensation and disability insurance?
- Am I required to hire U.S. citizens?
- My employee is not a legal resident. What should I do about employment taxes?
- Is health insurance I provide my domestic (elder care giver, housekeeper) taxable?